Monday, November 10, 2008

Mara in the Hospital


First and foremost- do not worry. Mara is not currently in the hospital. She was in there almost a month ago, but I am just now documenting it.

I won't go on and on with the whole story, because to be honest, most of you reading this know the story anyways! I just wanted to say thanks and post some pictures.

In short, after getting an infection through an insect bite, we had to go to Dell Children's hospital because oral antibiotics weren't clearing it up. Luckily we only had to stay a little over 24 hours. Mara was quite the trooper, even after getting stuck 6 times for an IV that eventually failed. She has since made a complete recovery from her bout with cellulitis in her leg.




After a few days of eating very little, Mara's appetite returned for some pancakes, eggs and applesauce.



Thank you Nancy and Tammy for coming to visit us and bring Mara goodies and this giant Jack-o-Lantern! She loved it so much she carried it around the house until it totally deflated just a few days ago!


We would like to thank all of you for the thoughts and prayers and phone calls while we had our little scare. My heart goes out to all the families with children that have weeks and months of hospitalization to endure. I don't know how they do it. As I prepare to become a nurse myself, I know this experience will stay with me and help me relate to my patients better. I have gained a whole new perspective.

8 comments:

Ralphie said...

Sara! I had no idea Mara went to the hospital. That breaks my heart. She looks so tiny in that big bed. I think I would have a stroke if they stuck Lucy with a needle six times! Poor baby!

I'm so glad that it was resolved quickly and that she is happy at home!

Bart said...

Glad to hear she's okay! I love the picture where she's eating!

Holly and Brad said...

Have I told you lately how stinking cute Mara is? I just want to squeeze her...is that weird?

I am so sorry I am such a bad friend...I had no idea that she went to the hospital. Poor thing. I am glad to hear that its all cleared up now.

Cant wait to hang out again...we all need to get together soon!

stampinashley said...

Well, I'm glad to know that I'm not the only one totally out of the loop, and at least I (unlike others...;) live far enough away to maybe make an exuse out of it.

It is a saddening thing to see your baby in the hospital, but it does really open your eyes to other families having gone through similar experiences.

I'm so glad that Mara is feeling better. I think it's almost harder when they are older and know what's going on. Or rather know that they don't know what's going on.

I'm sure it will make you all the better nurse!

Sarah said...

What!? When did this happen? I'm so glad that she's all better. What a strong girl.

Jeannie said...

Thanks for posting the cute pics! She looks so stinkin' cute eating her nasty hospital food!

Sheyenne said...

Sara, so sorry Mara had to go to the hospital. I'm glad it all turned out all right, and I really think that you will benefit from the experience and be able to be more compassionate and understanding of what other families are going through.

chelon:) said...

she looks so cute and happy!! you would never guess that she was in the hospital...