Tuesday, April 29, 2008

Life's a Beach


Ha!Ha! Catchy title, right? Thanks, but it's not original. I can't take all the credit. It does lead you to the point of this entry, though.


Our good friends Tammy and Cory Townsend invited us to Port Aransas (near Corpus Christi,TX) for the weekend along with a few other families. We left Friday morning and came home Sunday. The weekend was fun with lots of time hanging out and playing with the kids.


The drive down to Port "A" as it's known was pretty uneventful, aside from the non-stop chattering from Cam and frequent fits of screaming from Mara, all went well. Mike thought it would be a good time to subject me to one of his books which he had come prepared with on his ipod. I really didn't want to listen to it, but sometimes a girl's gotta do what a girl's gotta do. The book is titled "Wild at Heart" and is basically a man's point of view self-help book. It could have been worse. I guess I should be completely honest here. It really wasn't that bad. At least the part I was listening to as I read my People magazine.The author had some valid points regarding the way men have been groomed into a more feminized version of who they were really intended to be. We didn't make it to the part where you learn how to be a better man or raise a better one at that, though. I guess we'll have to save that for another trip.


We got to the beach house around 3pm on Friday and met up with everyone. The families included the Townsends, Colquitts, Benoitts, and Petersons. All together, there were 21 people: 10 adults and 11 kids. I know what you're thinking....that is a lot of kids. They all got along and with all the parents around, it made for a great time. The beach house was a beautiful 3 story house with sleeping accommodations for all of us. I can't think of any better way to enjoy the beach than from the luxury of a furnished house walking distance from the water.


The beach itself had some nice sand. I was hoping to see more shells or sea glass, but overall, I thought it was nicer than Crystal Beach near Galveston where we went last summer. I guess it just depends on what you're going for. Port A has some nice sandcastle making material. (See Picture).


We walked on the beach, Cam swam a little, Mara mostly rode on Mike's shoulders (she didn't like the sand on her toes), and everyone just kinda hung out. We ordered in pizza one night and ate at a seafood restaurant the last night.


Sunday morning we had a little devotional courtesy of Steve Colquitt since we couldn't make it to church. It was nice. Too bad real church isn't only 15 minutes. Just kidding.

We loaded up and headed out about 10 or so. The drive home went pretty fast. Faster I'd say than the drive up especially since Mara slept for at least an hour and Mike played music instead of that book on the radio.


Overall, it was a great weekend. The only bad part was that the Benoitt's had to leave early because their daughter was sick. They made it home safely and got her the medical attention she needed, though, so that's good.


Hopefully we'll get to do this again. I never would have thought that spending the weekend with so many people in one house would be so much fun. I have a hunch it depends who you're with. These particular people are awesome, to say the least. Next time we will probably try to fish a little and maybe even make a fire on the beach. Come to think of it, that ties into the Wild at Heart book that we'll probably be listening to on the way down...


I don't have many pics to post yet, but they'll follow in a day or two.

4 comments:

Janssen said...

Looks like you guys had a great time!

Sheyenne said...

Wow! Sounds like a lot of fun. I love the beach and just being laid back. I've never been to Port Aransas though. Maybe we'll have to check it out sometime. We like to go to Surfside. The prices there are really reasonable and it's not crowded at all.

meleah said...

I am not one to really like the beach but that makes me think I might start liking it. Way fun!!

Natalie said...

Sounds like a blast...I love beach houses!! We haven't been to the beach in toooo long. I'm glad you all had fun!